Christ the Teacher

Christ the Teacher

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Christian Spirituality XXVII: Pearls Before Swine


“Do not give dogs what is holy; and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under foot and turn to attack you,” Matthew 7:6.

Like any line of Scripture, there are multiple valid interpretations.  Here is one that I like because it causes me to see the pride that lies inside of me.  I am often tempted to speak to others what I know and what I have just learned.  It’s kind of like, “Look at me!  I know what this means.  Just ask me and I’ll tell you the deep, hidden meaning.  See, I’m pretty smart.  I must be close to God.”

If I were honest, this is one reason why I began to write.  Now, hopefully it is not the reason that I continue to write! 

Jesus has given us pearls in this sermon, wonderful teachings that will make a difference in our lives if we do them.  This line is telling me, “Don’t just go around bragging about it, or showing off to your friends what you know, just calmly and simply do them.  Live out what I teach you.  This will be enough.”

And so dear friends, let this be enough for you and for me. 

Peace always.

Dennis the Little

No comments:

Post a Comment