Christ the Teacher

Christ the Teacher

Monday, July 12, 2010

Trust God in All Things

We all go through hard times. We wonder where God is. We might even fear what is coming next or we wonder how we are going to pay that bill. Perhaps we have a child that is very sick. How is it going to turn out? I have been through some ups and downs in life myself. The Lord is always there. Things don’t always turn out as we’d like them, but we can trust in God’s presence to get us through.

One of my favorite quotes from the saints is this one from St. Teresa of Avila.

Let nothing disturb you
Let nothing frighten you
For all things pass save God
Who does not change.

Be patient, and at the last
You will find all fulfillment.
Hold God, and nothing
Will fail you, for God alone is all.


I thought of this quote before I began my prayer this morning. I was wondering what I should post on my blog. Then the Psalms unfolded before me a litany of verses about trusting the Lord.

My opening prayer was from Sirach 36:1-5, 10-13. Ben Sirach is praying for mercy and to see the Lord’s power and the restoration of Israel. This was written about 190 B.C., just prior to the Maccabaean revolt when the Holy Land was still occupied by what was Alexander’s empire.

Next, I prayed the Benedictus, Luke 1:68-79, Zacharias’s Song. It is a song or prayer of great hope in the Lord. One line that always touches me is verse 79: “To give light to those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death.” “Darkness” is a Biblical image of spiritual ignorance. Jesus is the Light that has come into the world. When we are having difficulties, it often happens that our biggest problem is seeing. And so, in my heart I pray that I might see enough that I can trust no matter how dark my problem might seem.

My first Psalm was 119:89-96. The verse that touched me this morning was 91: “By Your arrangements each day continues, for all things are Your servants.”

This just spoke to me of how God just has everything in His hand. Nothing is bigger than God. No problem, catastrophe, or no debt of mine is too big for Him to handle. In the end, all of creation serves God and He cares for all of His creation with love.

Psalm 146 was my next Psalm. It is about how God is our helper and our hope. He provides for us. He brings justice and feeds the hungry (v. 7).

Verses 8-9: “The Lord restores those broken down. The Lord gives wisdom to the blind. The Lord loves the righteous. The Lord keeps watch over resident aliens. He shall adopt the orphan and the widow.”

The last shall be first and the first shall be last. The “nobodies” in this world are the “somebodies” to the Lord. I know some immigrants from Latin America. They are mainly from Mexico and almost all of them do not have legal status. I know of parents who live and work here while their children are still in Mexico. Oh, how this must hurt! My heart goes out to them as I pray that the Lord watches over them. I pray that our immigration mess can be straightened out. In this, I and my friends, must trust the Lord.

My final Psalm today was Psalm 12. Verse 8 says, “You shall guard us, O Lord, You shall preserve us from this generation forever.”

Yes, the Lord will guard us and take care of us no matter what. No matter how good or bad it may appear, we can trust that the Lord is in it, intimately. We need never despair of the Lord’s care for us.

There is a line that I repeat daily in my morning prayers also. I have put it together from a few different sayings from other people. It is powerful and speaks to me how intimately the Lord knits the events of my life together, all designed to foster the best in me. The prayer is, “Lord, help me to see that this moment and these times are as perfect as they can be and that everything that happens today is as it should be because there are no accidents.”

Everything that happens is guided by the love of the Lord. We can trust Him. A final quote, by St. Catherine of Sienna, “Everything comes from love, all is ordained for the salvation of man, God does nothing without this goal in mind.”

May the peace of the Lord be with you.

(All Scripture quotes are from the Orthodox Study Bible.)

No comments:

Post a Comment